« Home | Some Pictures of My Room and Area » | Sorry Ingrid » | The Sand Storm » | Happy Mothers Day » | Welcome Back » | To The Love Of My Life, The Mother Of My Children,... » | I Only See a Red Sky » | I Kissed a Man, Say What? » | Man I'm Tired » | Black is Back »

Like Little Kids In A Candy Store


Yesterday we went to Balad, Iraq. The sole purpose of the mission was to try and get supplies. We took along with us a bunch of Iraqi Privates, the Battalion (BN) Sergeant Major (SGM) and a Supply Captain. The whole day just started out bad and continued that way until.

We were suppose to have left at 0600, but the other two teams that were traveling along with us, was not ready at the time they were suppose to be. So we left about 40 minutes behind schedule. The trip up was no problem. I drove and at one point I saw two Iraqi men fighting in the street over who was going to give this car gas. See they have make shift gas stations all over the road. Basically somebody shows up with about 20 five gallon cans and they wait for people to stop. This one guys was hitting and kicking this other guy. When the guy who was getting beat up fell on the ground, the other guy raced over and started filling up this car. Really funny stuff.

When we got to Balad we decided to split up so each team could do what they needed. Our team went to the DMRO or place you pickup used equipment, trucks, and anything else that is no longer serviceable. The Iraqis soldiers were in heaven. They were grabbing big old ice coolers, copy machines, a couple of water buffalos (portable water barrel on a trailer) and anything else they could throw on the back of their trucks. This place looked like a junk yard. All the of the equipment was broke, but trust me these guys can fix it.

After that we took them to the American Chow Hall. They were crazy in there. They grabbed so much food, that most of them could not eat everything they got. I sat with my two interpreters, the Iraqi CPT and the Iraqi BN SGM. I noticed the BN SGM keep staring at all the American females. I asked him if he liked what he saw. He smiled and laughed. The Iraqi CPT was eating cornbread with a spoon. I did not have the heart to tell him he need to pick it up with his hands. As they started leaving, some of the Privates found the Ice Cream bar. They loaded up with Ice Creams, Sodas, and Gator Aide. Of course once we got outside and back to the trucks, the rest of the Privates who had not loaded up started going back inside the Chow Hall. I did not see them do this, I just noticed after about 10 minutes half of my guys where gone. Then I saw them walking over hands full.

Well we had to wait for three hours for the other two teams to return. They took their sweet time and made us wait outside in the hot sun. The temperature was about 105 to 110. I went and sat under a tree with the BN SGM and my two interpreters. Then this truck pulled up with three Air Force folks. They told me they were reporters and could they take some pictures of us, since we looked like we were having a good time. I cleared it with the BN SGM and he said no problem. So they took the pictures of us as I was telling jokes and stories and making the BN SGM laugh. I gave them my info and who the other three with me where. The reporters took my email address and assured me they would send me a copy of the pictures they use in their little paper. He also told me he would send me a home town news realize so they can send it to the Brunswick News.

Pretty cool day even if it was hot as the dickens.

Randy