Seven Hours A Day
Today at 0800 they turned our power off again. Of course this has become the norm the last two months. I have talked to more Iraqi Officers trying to find out why they turn off only our power and not everyone else on this post. I have been told it's a way to conserve fuel. Well just turning off only one area is not conserving that much fuel, plus they are never consistent with the time frame.
So when they turned it off this morning, I had had enough. I grabbed my laptop, and took one of my terps with me. I went back to the office where the officer in charge of energy worked. I got into a verbal confrontation with him. We argued for about ten minutes. I finally just sat down at one of his desk and turned my laptop on. He asked me what I was doing. I informed him that he had power and I was going to work in his office until they turned my power back on. I also told him if you turn our power off at night, I will come over and sleep in your room. He got mad and left.
Next thing I knew here came about six Iraqi officers and a Air Force LTC. The highest ranking Iraqi officer there was a full bird COL. He told me I could not just walk into someone's office and start working. I told him if you turn my power off, I cannot work, so I have to work where I can. He told me that the power goes off from 0500 to 0800 and then again from 1400 to 1800. I said well it's after 0800 and we do not have power. He promised me that the power was back on. So I left.
When I got back to my room it was about 0930. Power was still off. So I grabbed my CPT and we went back up there. We got into it with an Air Force LT and he promised us he would get to the bottom of this.
Long story short, we found out that from now on everybody looses power on the Iraqi side of our post from 0800 to 1100 and then again from 1400 to 1800. So the only time during the day we will have power is from 1100 to 1400. We normally go to chow at 1200 and then after chow I get the mail. I get back normally at about 1330. So that means I only will be able to work for one and half hours during the day.
By the way, the temperature during the day ranges about 105 to 120. So you can imagine how hot it is in our room.
This thing only gets better everyday. Please send more troops, why should my team be the only one to suffer.
Randy
So when they turned it off this morning, I had had enough. I grabbed my laptop, and took one of my terps with me. I went back to the office where the officer in charge of energy worked. I got into a verbal confrontation with him. We argued for about ten minutes. I finally just sat down at one of his desk and turned my laptop on. He asked me what I was doing. I informed him that he had power and I was going to work in his office until they turned my power back on. I also told him if you turn our power off at night, I will come over and sleep in your room. He got mad and left.
Next thing I knew here came about six Iraqi officers and a Air Force LTC. The highest ranking Iraqi officer there was a full bird COL. He told me I could not just walk into someone's office and start working. I told him if you turn my power off, I cannot work, so I have to work where I can. He told me that the power goes off from 0500 to 0800 and then again from 1400 to 1800. I said well it's after 0800 and we do not have power. He promised me that the power was back on. So I left.
When I got back to my room it was about 0930. Power was still off. So I grabbed my CPT and we went back up there. We got into it with an Air Force LT and he promised us he would get to the bottom of this.
Long story short, we found out that from now on everybody looses power on the Iraqi side of our post from 0800 to 1100 and then again from 1400 to 1800. So the only time during the day we will have power is from 1100 to 1400. We normally go to chow at 1200 and then after chow I get the mail. I get back normally at about 1330. So that means I only will be able to work for one and half hours during the day.
By the way, the temperature during the day ranges about 105 to 120. So you can imagine how hot it is in our room.
This thing only gets better everyday. Please send more troops, why should my team be the only one to suffer.
Randy
Randy, I am so sorry that you are having to deal with this much crap. I don't suppose you can get moved to a different side of the camp. It seems to me that it would make more sense to "conserve energy" during a few of the night hours after the sun is down. I know it would still be hot, but it wouldn't affect everyone in such a severe way. You just sleep naked and put a cold cloth on your neck and forehead. Maybe Dubya needs to be informed of these intolerable working conditions. Anyway, I love you and miss you. Renee'
Posted by
Nay |
8:00 PM