Thank You Jesus
The only thing I want to say in today's blog is THANK YOU JESUS.
I will let you know that the convoy I was traveling in yesterday was hit by Improvised Explosive Device (IED). The lead vehicle was hit under the back part of the drivers side on the HUMVEE. The vehicle I was in was the last one in the convoy. We are on a mission at the time. We had just searched a house and were on our way to the second set of houses to search. The IED was actually three IEDs put together. The HUMVEE was turned around 180 degrees from the direction it was traveling and ended up in a concrete ditch. The HUMVEE had five personnel traveling in it. The gunner, SFC I (my roommate) was blown out of the hatch going airborne and landing on the road. He only suffered 2nd degree burns on his backside and arms. He is fine, a little slow, but back in the room with me. The driver, a CPL C, was unharmed and walked away. The Tatical Commander, CPT O, only suffered a bloody nose and nice big scratch on the top of it. The Interpretor, Sadiq, has a broken hand and some burns mark on his hand. Unfortunately we did lose one passenger. An Iraqi Army soldier was traveling in the vehicle with them. Fasil was the Intel NCO and wonderful man. He was great at his job. He constantly was getting tips on places we need to go to check out the bad guys. He will be deeply missed amongst the Iraqi soldiers, and the other guys on this team.
Please understand I am not writing this to scare anyone, or try to make you have bad day. I am writing this as a thanks to my God. He truly is watching out me and others on this team. Some folks have wrote me in the past and said be safe, or don't be a hero. I understand what they mean, but let tell you something. The real hero is not one person on this team, but our family and friends who stand behind us. I dreaded calling Isabel last night and telling her. I knew she would be upset. The only thing I can say is, "Baby I love you, and I am alive". I try to be honest, because I feel like if I hold stuff back in will come back to haunt me. When this whole year is over, trust me I will stop and talk with someone at Ft Sam Houston. My mind is straight, and we talk to each other over here. The guys on this team are some of the finest I have been around. CPT O and SFC I are my brothers, and we have a bond like no other. We lean on each other and look out for each other. The first thing I did after I ran to the scene, was look for both of them.
In closing, I again say THANK YOU JESUS for keeping me safe.
"Fasil, I loved you brother, and you are in a better place."
Randahl J. Helms
I will let you know that the convoy I was traveling in yesterday was hit by Improvised Explosive Device (IED). The lead vehicle was hit under the back part of the drivers side on the HUMVEE. The vehicle I was in was the last one in the convoy. We are on a mission at the time. We had just searched a house and were on our way to the second set of houses to search. The IED was actually three IEDs put together. The HUMVEE was turned around 180 degrees from the direction it was traveling and ended up in a concrete ditch. The HUMVEE had five personnel traveling in it. The gunner, SFC I (my roommate) was blown out of the hatch going airborne and landing on the road. He only suffered 2nd degree burns on his backside and arms. He is fine, a little slow, but back in the room with me. The driver, a CPL C, was unharmed and walked away. The Tatical Commander, CPT O, only suffered a bloody nose and nice big scratch on the top of it. The Interpretor, Sadiq, has a broken hand and some burns mark on his hand. Unfortunately we did lose one passenger. An Iraqi Army soldier was traveling in the vehicle with them. Fasil was the Intel NCO and wonderful man. He was great at his job. He constantly was getting tips on places we need to go to check out the bad guys. He will be deeply missed amongst the Iraqi soldiers, and the other guys on this team.
Please understand I am not writing this to scare anyone, or try to make you have bad day. I am writing this as a thanks to my God. He truly is watching out me and others on this team. Some folks have wrote me in the past and said be safe, or don't be a hero. I understand what they mean, but let tell you something. The real hero is not one person on this team, but our family and friends who stand behind us. I dreaded calling Isabel last night and telling her. I knew she would be upset. The only thing I can say is, "Baby I love you, and I am alive". I try to be honest, because I feel like if I hold stuff back in will come back to haunt me. When this whole year is over, trust me I will stop and talk with someone at Ft Sam Houston. My mind is straight, and we talk to each other over here. The guys on this team are some of the finest I have been around. CPT O and SFC I are my brothers, and we have a bond like no other. We lean on each other and look out for each other. The first thing I did after I ran to the scene, was look for both of them.
In closing, I again say THANK YOU JESUS for keeping me safe.
"Fasil, I loved you brother, and you are in a better place."
Randahl J. Helms
How do you reply to that? I have been reading your blog for a few weeks now and just wanted you to know that you are truly in our prayers. I think, Thank You Jesus puts it right where it needs to be.
Posted by
South Georgia Snipe Hunter |
5:39 PM
Hey Bubba. I agree with the sentiment of "Thank You Jesus!" I appreciate your honesty, though it does tend to upset me, It is not so much what has happened, but the very fact that you have to be there. I know it was your choice, and I respect your decision, but I don't have to like it. I can't wait until the day that I get to have one of your big bear hugs. I just might never want to let you go. I will continue to call your name out to God and ask Him to continue surrounding you with His protective angels. Just make sure that your heart is right at all times, which is something that each one of us needs to do daily. I love you Randy and I miss you soooooooooooo much. Renee'
Posted by
Nay |
10:57 PM