« Home | A Ferret, A Dumb Kid and Bang Bang » | Mickey Ratt » | Nothing Really Stands Out To Be The Title Today » | GOOOOOAAAAALLLLLL » | Seven Hours A Day » | Same Old Stuff » | HAPPY FATHER'S DAY » | » | So Much Fun, In Such A Short Amount Of Time » | I'm Home »

We Finally Have Power 24/7

It took numerous meetings and yelling amongst our area and the Iraqi COL in charge, but finally we have power 24 hours a day. We received a signed letter that says power must remain on in our area. Thank the good Lord above. I will tell you the last couple of days have been murder on my body and coming back to a room with no air condition or lights made it worse. At least now it is nice an cool inside my room.

The other day I sent the following email to the Management of the rock band Cinderella.

Dear Union Entertainment Group Staff, My name is Randy Helms. I am a Staff Sergeant presently serving in Iraq. My mission here is to train Iraqi soldiers, so we can finally leave this country, when they can secure it on their own. My main reason for writing is, I have a really cool idea that I think might spark you interest. I am huge lover of the 80s hair metal bands. Being 37 and a guitar player for the last 24 years, you can understand why. Cinderella is my all time favorite from that era. I have been fortunate to see them four time live. They always rocked and I could tell that they just like to jam. My idea stems around getting about two or three bands from that time frame and putting them around a fire with some acoustic guitars. They would be joined by several soldiers, airmen, marines, and navy guys and girls who just returned from service in Iraq and Afghanistan. I was thinking maybe a select few would be able to play along with the bands. In between the songs, by the way I feel should be some by the bands and also some classic covers, the troops could share stories of their deployments. I would be willing to bet that VH-1 Classic would snatch it up. I have asked some of the guys I am over here with if they would watch something like that and they all said yes. I of course do not return from my deployment until either late Dec 2006 or early Jan 2007. Please let me know what you think of my idea. Thanks a million, Randy Helms

They responded with this:


Hi Randy...

I'm Tim Heyne, CINDERELLA's manager. Bryan Coleman forwarded me your email regarding your idea for a sort of "military/band unplugged" so to speak, type thing. While I'm not sure about pulling something like together, I do know that you would have the musicians of all those era bands, particularly from Cinderella, wanting to do show their support toward all our troops and for y'all putting it on the line for us day after day & minute after minute, over there.

One thing I can do is send you some Cinderella CDs now. To where shall we send?

Best,

Tim Heyne


Who knows if they will do it, but it would be really cool. I have a couple other ideas of whom to send this idea/request too. I will keep you posted.

Well I was 50/50 on my prediction for the World Cup final. I will go with Italy now to win the whole thing. Sorry Papa Joe, Joe Willie, and OJJ, better luck next time. Go eat a pork chop sandwich at Willie's Weenie Wagon in their honor.

Randy

Randy, This is cool. You know that you have to get Twisted Sister in on this. Actually, after watching Supergroup on VH1, I would bet that Damnocracy would be willing to participate. Maybe you need to contact VH1 instead of the bands. Just a thought. I'm glad you have a/c again. Everytime I am outside sweating I think of you. You have it so much worse. I love you little brother. Stay safe!

Post a Comment