« Home | What a Piece of Crap » | The Nights are Cold, but the Chow Hall Rules » | I'm Here » | Come Fly With Me » | I Can See Peely Now the Rain is Gone » | Up From San Antone » | 05 JAN 2006 - The First of Many »

R.I.P Lawrence "Uncle Junior" Holland

There are many things that I will never forget about my Uncle Junior. He was my Grandfather's youngest brother. Uncle Junior was a short man, but I am sure in his day a fighter. Three things I would like to share with you all and bring back a few good memories of him for my family.

Uncle Junior told me one time when he was around nine or ten he would go down to this local pool hall and play pinball. He said one time while he was in there this old drunk started giving him a hard time. He said the owner of the place told the old man to leave that boy alone. The drunk taught it was funny so he kept on messing with him. Uncle Junior said he just got tired of the old man so he went outside. When he came back in he had a two by four and cracked the old man on his knees. That's funny right there.

When I was a young boy I went fishing in the FLA Keys with my grandfather and Uncle Junior. One night it was raining on the houseboat, so I opened the screen to close the window, because I was getting wet. Of course about a million mosquitoes came flying in. My grandfather said he felt them right away, but he just laid in his bed waiting for the critters to fly to the bottom of the boat and bite Junior. A couple minutes later, sure enough Uncle Junior came storming up from below cursing, "Who the hell let all them damn blasted mosquitoes inside?" We all where laughing and we have shared that story numerous times. Ever time I saw Uncle Junior, he would ask me when do I want to go to the Keys again.

The last thing I want to sure, is one of the last times I spoke to him. I had taken Isabel and Caelan to my grandparents for a visit, along with my mom and sister. We had a real nice family reunion and fish fry. I was sitting outside talking with Uncle Junior and he told me of all the things he had done in his life, he just wished he could go back and never pick up that first cigarette.

Goodbye Uncle Junior. You made me laugh and I love ya for it.