Just Shut Up And Eat
As many of you may be aware, right now is the holy month of Ramadan. This is the time of the year that Muslims spend praising the great prophet Muhammad. They fast all day long, eating nothing, smoking, or consuming any drink, to include water. They do this from sun up to sun down. After the sun goes down it becomes a big time to eat and drink. The other night I went with a couple of our interpreters to the Iraqi chow hall. We ate so much food and it was so good. We had rice, sheep, potatoes, cucumbers, and rice like pudding. The funny thing was there was this Iraqi Sergeant who ran the chow hall. He was mad at the soldiers working in the chow hall because they were not cleaning the trays fast enough and were running out of clean trays for the soldiers coming into eat. He started yelling at them and screaming at the top of his lungs. Then he pulled out his pistol and started waving it in the air at the soldiers. It was not loaded, so I felt safe. I was laughing so hard. Then a couple of the Iraqi soldiers who were getting food started to ask for extra. He started yelling at them. I was just laughing my behind off. He came over to my table. At first I thought he was going to yell at me, because I was laughing. Instead of yelling at me, he apologized, because they did not enough sheep, he thought. I assured him I had plenty and the food was wonderful. He smiled and then went back to yelling at the soldiers. It was too funny.
We went to the Green Zone yesterday. The Green Zone is where the government of Iraq is and all the big US Generals reside. It's the most secure place in all of Iraq. We hade some business to take care of there and we decided that we would take half the morning to have a little fun. It has one of the nicest PXs in all of Iraq. I also had a chance to eat at Subway. After that we drove to our area of Baghdad to check on our Iraqi counterparts. So it was a fun, but very long day.
We went to the Green Zone yesterday. The Green Zone is where the government of Iraq is and all the big US Generals reside. It's the most secure place in all of Iraq. We hade some business to take care of there and we decided that we would take half the morning to have a little fun. It has one of the nicest PXs in all of Iraq. I also had a chance to eat at Subway. After that we drove to our area of Baghdad to check on our Iraqi counterparts. So it was a fun, but very long day.