My Blog Is Better Than Myspace
I received the following email from my sister Renee. It seems that her step-daughter Faith (my niece) sent her this:
Renee- feel free to send this on to Randy if you would like. I didn'tÂt realize how big the digital scrapping world was or how small our world really is! This morning I woke up and saw that I had a private message on a website that I frequent.
I just HAD to share this with you!!!
I have just had one of those small world moments and you are in it. I am a relatively new lurker on your blog and was just there the other day and downloaded your beautiful tree. Anyway, I also frequent regularly the blog of a friend from high school who is in Iraq. So I was reading Randy's blog tonight and clicked on a link for comments and saw your avatar. I KNEW your avatar looked familiar so I clicked the link and when your blog came up it was SO surreal...I was JUST there the other day. THEN I see that you have a link to your "uncle" Randy's blog. I am tripping out at this point. I just thought is was so cool! Are you in Brunswick? I grew up there and moved to Atlanta 10 years ago. Randy was myhigh schooll BF's good friend and we all went to church together. He is such a great guy. Just had to share. It truly IS a small world!!!~Lynn
So it seems the Lynn and Faith have becomefriendss though my blog, not knowing it. Cool Beans. I have some very good memories of Lynn and her brother David. Lynn was in handbell choir with me, Troy and Bobby (who she was dating at the time). Troy and I played the low bells, so we had a lot of free time on our hands while Tommy Mac worked with the high bells for the melody. Well Lynn stood next to me and on the other side of her was Bobby. So Troy and I would start playing other songs on the bells and get yelled at by Tommy Mac. So we would be scolded and told we had to stay after practice and polish bells. So we did not want to do that without Bobby, so we would proceed to do something that would get Bobby in trouble. My fondest memory of Lynn will always besittingg next to her in achapell on St Simons Island as we attended Crawford's Mother's Funeral. We cried together and really bonded our friendship that day. It's tuff to lose someone, but when you are 16 or 17 it stops you dead in your tracks. The whole church became a tear fest when Crawford sang Purple Rain.
Matter of fact David was one of the reasons why I joined the Army. See David, Tony (South Ga Snipe Hunter), Terry (Tony's older Brother), and a guy named Roddy (aka Rotten) had all joined the Marines or Marine Reserves. I wanted to be like them, even though I was older by a couple of years. So I went down to Marine Corps office and tried to join. The Marines told me since I was married at the time, and 22 they really had no use for me. So I went to the Air Force and they said I was not smart enough (I guess they are not down with Sen John Kerry). So I had two choices left, Navy or Army. So I stood in that hallway weighing my odds. If I joined the Navy my Grandfather would be so proud of me, because he had been in the Navy. On the other hand, I would be stuck at sea all the time, wearing some funky looking jeans. So I choose the Army and here I am 14 and half years later. Thanks Dave, Tony, Terry, and Roddy.
Peace out,
Randy
Renee- feel free to send this on to Randy if you would like. I didn'tÂt realize how big the digital scrapping world was or how small our world really is! This morning I woke up and saw that I had a private message on a website that I frequent.
I just HAD to share this with you!!!
I have just had one of those small world moments and you are in it. I am a relatively new lurker on your blog and was just there the other day and downloaded your beautiful tree. Anyway, I also frequent regularly the blog of a friend from high school who is in Iraq. So I was reading Randy's blog tonight and clicked on a link for comments and saw your avatar. I KNEW your avatar looked familiar so I clicked the link and when your blog came up it was SO surreal...I was JUST there the other day. THEN I see that you have a link to your "uncle" Randy's blog. I am tripping out at this point. I just thought is was so cool! Are you in Brunswick? I grew up there and moved to Atlanta 10 years ago. Randy was myhigh schooll BF's good friend and we all went to church together. He is such a great guy. Just had to share. It truly IS a small world!!!~Lynn
So it seems the Lynn and Faith have becomefriendss though my blog, not knowing it. Cool Beans. I have some very good memories of Lynn and her brother David. Lynn was in handbell choir with me, Troy and Bobby (who she was dating at the time). Troy and I played the low bells, so we had a lot of free time on our hands while Tommy Mac worked with the high bells for the melody. Well Lynn stood next to me and on the other side of her was Bobby. So Troy and I would start playing other songs on the bells and get yelled at by Tommy Mac. So we would be scolded and told we had to stay after practice and polish bells. So we did not want to do that without Bobby, so we would proceed to do something that would get Bobby in trouble. My fondest memory of Lynn will always besittingg next to her in achapell on St Simons Island as we attended Crawford's Mother's Funeral. We cried together and really bonded our friendship that day. It's tuff to lose someone, but when you are 16 or 17 it stops you dead in your tracks. The whole church became a tear fest when Crawford sang Purple Rain.
Matter of fact David was one of the reasons why I joined the Army. See David, Tony (South Ga Snipe Hunter), Terry (Tony's older Brother), and a guy named Roddy (aka Rotten) had all joined the Marines or Marine Reserves. I wanted to be like them, even though I was older by a couple of years. So I went down to Marine Corps office and tried to join. The Marines told me since I was married at the time, and 22 they really had no use for me. So I went to the Air Force and they said I was not smart enough (I guess they are not down with Sen John Kerry). So I had two choices left, Navy or Army. So I stood in that hallway weighing my odds. If I joined the Navy my Grandfather would be so proud of me, because he had been in the Navy. On the other hand, I would be stuck at sea all the time, wearing some funky looking jeans. So I choose the Army and here I am 14 and half years later. Thanks Dave, Tony, Terry, and Roddy.
Peace out,
Randy
I can add a good story about Marine Corps boot camp and David K., when I was at chow one day there was this homely looking guy serving beans, so I yelled three times at this familiar face "Beans Recruit" before he looked up and it was of all people, David K. For that week when he was on the floor of the chow hall I would hold up the water piture and yell for water, this was the start of covert jail note passing. I met up with Roddy when left Oki for LeJuene. Randy, the four of us were the most unlikely people to join the military. I look back and remember in HS the ROTC guys and gals, to be honest I do not believe any of them served. It is good to read your blogs and to know that you are doing well under the conditions. Stay safe and Gods Speed... By the way, I still have the "Party Down Like a Rug" VHS tape.... Terry
Posted by
Terry |
9:32 PM
Yeppers, that is awesome! Love ya and hope that all is well.
Posted by
Simple Digital Girl |
7:47 AM