Jim and Phyllis Holland

In this modern day society with gadgets that can just about do everything, there is still a lost art that a soldier still has. That would be a pen and a pad of paper. I will admit with this blog it's easier to just post something that everyone can read and see. This way I do not have to write everyone a letter, well not everyone.
See my grandparents do not own a computer. Even though Grandpa is a stout Democrat and I am sure he supports the internet, since Al Gore created it (Yeah and Iraq is a beautiful country), they do not own such a piece of machinery. I still write them letters just like I did 13 years ago when I went to Korea for my first assignment.
My grandparents hold a special place in my heart just like they do with everyone that meets them. Mater of fact just writing this I am holding back the tears. I miss them dearly and think about them often. Since I have been in the Army I have not always been able to be home for the holiday's . I have only been home for two Christmas' in the past 13 years and I believe only three Thanksgiving's as well. Thanksgiving is the big one in the Holland family. Everyone normally either goes to Nana's and Grandpa's or up the road to my Aunt M'liss and Uncle Allen's. I have missed it to many times.
It never fails though in those past Christmas, that I have missed, they have sent me a care package. It always has cookies and popcorn, two of my favorites. When I was stationed in Holland for those five years, my co-workers looked forward to that metal can arriving with the goods. Funny thing though it always had a dent on the side. I think Grandpa kicked it since he retired from the post office many years ago, before they knew what going postal meant. Anyway it always came year in and year out and it never made to New Years.
I now my momma will print this and mail it to them so let me just say the following:
Nana and Grandpa I love you more then anything in the world and I could not have asked for better. Someday many years from now we three will walk along the streets of gold and I am sure if we turn our heads Grandpa will be snacking on something.
(Thanks Shelley for the photo that I stole from your Jan newsletter and John "HQs" Sousa for the inspiration from your post about Papa Jo, the masked medic.)
Randy